SNJ Project
   

This is a SNJ we are restoring at the present time. The first step was the tailcone, which we started with three. There was a great deal of corrosion so most of the parts had to be replaced. Many of the rivet heads just broke off when the drill hit them, not a good sign.

We fabricated all but one of the original bulkheads, all the stringers and skin.
The bulkheads were heat treated after forming to 2024-T4 hardness.

A fixture had to be built to assemble all the parts we made so it would be straight and fit when finished. The following pictures of the old and new tailcone along with many of the parts fabricated.

At present time we are working on the horizontal stabilizer. The original tips and castings will be used the rest will be fabricated and assembled. Again a fixture will have to be built.

Photos from our SNJ project:
(click any photo to see the full-size image)

 
click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge
old tailcone with skin removed
 
old tailcone in fixture
 
some new parts after heat treating
         
click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge
starting to assemble in fixture
 
ready for skin
 
bottom skin in place
         
click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge
riveting side skin
 
rear inside bulkhead at tail wheel
 
tailcone all skinned
         
click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge
         
         
click to enlarge   click to enlarge   click to enlarge
         
         
click to enlarge